MONTGOMERY DRAGON BOAT
race and festival information
Every team receives two, 1-hour practice sessions included with registration. Sessions will be held in the first part of August. The practice calendar will be made available to Captains closer to this time. Every paddler is required to participate in at least one session. A crew member that has not participated in a practice will not be allowed to paddle on Race Day.
- Practice Location- Practices will take place at the Riverboat docks at Riverfront Park. Teams should arrive 15-20 minutes before their scheduled session in order to check in and get geared up with paddles and jackets. Entrance to the park and docks is through the Commerce Street tunnel.
- Clothing- Please wear cool, lightweight gear you don’t mind getting wet. We request paddlers wear appropriate athletic, water shoes, or sandals with a back strap (no flip flops, please). We highly recommend paddlers bring a water bottle, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen- even during the late afternoon sessions. It will be hot, and practice sessions should be treated as a workout. We will have water coolers and cups on- site, as well as dry boxes for your keys and phones.
- Cancellation of practice- The Team Captain is responsible for deciding whether to cancel a practice session and must notify the Festival Director at least 24 hours before the scheduled session. Cancellations cannot be made up unless additional time slots are available in the regular schedule. If MDB staff has to unexpectedly cancel a practice for any reason, Captains will be notified via email and/or phone.
- Late paddlers- Captains must decide what to do if a paddler is late for practice and discuss this with his/her crew. You may wait, in which case your practice will be less than an hour, or leave the dock without the late paddler. Every practice session is strictly limited to one hour, so it will behoove paddlers to arrive on-time!
- Drummers- Team drummers must attend practice with their team. A special drummer’s clinic will take place the week-of the Festival. Date and time TBD.
- Medical Emergencies- The Team Captain should be aware of any acute medical issues team members may have. The Fire/Rescue safety boat will be on the river during every practice session.