How to Start a Team
WELCOME TO DRAGON BOAT RACING IN MONTGOMERY!
Our festival staff is here to support your efforts and will work hard to ensure you have a great experience. This event is organized by two local charities, Bridge Builders Alabama & Rebuilding Together Central Alabama, to raises public awareness about our programs and funding to support our important work in the community.
This page provides general information about what you will need to know to form a team. For more information, we HIGHLY recommend visiting the Frequently Asked Questions page to get your feet wet and figure out what dragon boating is all about (hint: fun). We truly welcome your questions and suggestions, just send an email to, Andrew Szymanski, the Festival Director or call 334-625-9411.
Need more information about our FirstGiving Registration page. Get Help Here!
THE BASICS: A dragon boat team consists of between 21 and 25 crew members, at least 8 of whom must be female. 20 people paddle the boat, 1 sets the cadence from the drummer’s seat on the bow. In every race, at least 8 paddlers must be female.
The cost to enter a team is $2,500; this amount may be paid by a company, the team members, raised, or any combination thereof. Because this entire event is a fundraiser, we ask that each team set a fundraising goal above the registration fee. Top fundraising teams will be honored at the closing ceremonies on Race Day.
REGISTERING YOUR TEAM: You do not have to have recruited all or any of your crew members before registering and no deposit is required in the registration process. The first 70 teams to register will be added to the race roster. ALL REGISTRATION FEES ARE DUE BY JULY 19TH. Additional registrants will be placed on a waiting list in order in which they registered. If any team does not meet the registration requirements, the festival director will consult with the team captain. If the decision is made to remove a team from the race roster, the team's fees will be refunded. NOTE: NO REFUNDS after July 19th.
How to register for the 2013 Montgomery Dragon Boat Race and Festival
1. Click the ‘Crew Sign Up' link on left side the MDBF Homepage
2. The link will take you to our FirstGiving Montgomery Dragon Boat Event Page
3. On the event page, take note of any useful information like the event contact person (the person to whom you should address any event-specific inquiries), then click the green Register button.
4. When prompted, choose the number of people you will be registering, and click Continue.
5. On the next screen, create your FirstGiving account by filling out the form and clicking Create Account - or, if you already have a FirstGiving account, click the grey Have an account? Sign in button on the right, and enter your email and password in the box that appears.
6. The next section contains the registration questions that the Montgomery Dragon Boat staff needs answered. Fill out these boxes, including selecting or creating a team by typing its name into the appropriate box, if applicable, and click Continue.
7. You'll now be able to set up your fundraising page. You'll be able to edit it more later, so just click Next when you're ready to continue, and any changes you've made will be saved.
8. Then, you'll see a confirmation of your registration. Seeing this screen means that you've successfully completed registration! A confirmation will also be emailed to you automatically at this time.
9. There is an option at the end of your registration to make a donation to your fundraising page. If you are paying your registration fee yourself (not asking others to help you raise your fee) then complete that payment at this point.
10. If you do not see your team name in the drop down menu while registering please check with your team captain for the correct team name. Some teams will have their business/organization name listed while other will have their 2013 Festival Team name. The name for the race guides, website etc will be confirmed with the MDBF staff via the team captain
REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS: By registering a team, you commit that your team will meet its minimum team roster (21 members) and pay the $2,500 registration fee (tax deductible) in full by July 19th. Should a team not meet this deadline, the Festival Director will consult with the Team Captain and may remove the team from the roster. In this event, a full refund will be made within 30 days to all donors.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the Festival Director at (334) 625-9411.